Thursday, July 16, 2020

Say Goodbye to the Queen of the Skies

Boeing is ending production of the original Jumbo Jet, Boeing 747, per a Bloomberg article. This plane has helped shape the world economy to what it is today. It is more than that, this is personal. The Boeing 747 has been a part of my life story from early on.

Boeing 747 by EC Holm

It had started its journey in 1970.  I first flew on one on a transatlantic flight from New York to Madrid only four years after its debut. The captain came over and handed me a pair of wings. Those were my first. I was seven years old at the time. Yes, the airline was TWA.

The plane made intercontinental flights economical and thus opened up economies. Business people used them a lot. They were also used to ship products. In later years, shipping companies like FedEx and UPS made use of them. Heck, I got FedExed in one while I was in the Air Force to Okinawa. It was a joke because FedEx was the contractor to carry troops to Kadena AB from the States, but it was a passenger plane, no boxes.

The 747 has seen all kinds of variations to her both military and civilian. Some notable variations of the plane have been a firefighter (Supertanker), telescope (SOFIA), rocket launcher (Virgin Orbit), large cargo carrier (Dreamlifter), a laser testbed (YAL-1 ), an engine testbed (article), and 2 of them reconfigured into the largest plane in the world (Stratolaunch). I loved these things. I thought it was amazing how such a large plane could be a tool to do such amazing work. Of course, there have been many production variants of the plane to suit many needs. I remember reading in 1988 about a 747 SP making a world record for flying around the world in record time. The article said that the plane made use of the jet stream. I had realized from talking to Air Force pilots that you can go Mach 1 ground speed in an airliner if you take advantage of a favorable jet stream. Not that you are actually breaking the sound barrier with the air around you because the air is moving with you.

I do not know what Boeing is doing by discontinuing the 747, queen of the skies. Personally, I think it is a mistake on their part like many mistakes they have been making of late. Sure, they blame it on the market and fuel economy, but customers are still wanting the old girl.

I find it nostalgic and frankly sad to say goodbye to such a beauty. Yet the end it is still not (if I dare conjure up my inner Yoda). Many 747’s are flying and will fly the blue yonder for many years to come.